A peptide is a chain of two or more amino acids joined together that build protein. Bio-peptide is a term for biologically active compounds that are chemically altered protein fragments. Peptides can be of a natural substance as well as chemically engineered.
The benefits of bio-peptides in skin care products are important:
- Peptides stimulate cell activity by interacting with molecules that can signal fibroblasts to produce more collagen, thereby playing a role in encouraging cell renewal, cell turnover, and diminishing wrinkles and improving the skin integrity of rosacea.
- Peptides act as a messenger between the top-most layer of skin or epidermis, and the dermis, The epidermal-dermal communication is important as it naturally breaks down as we age and is one of the causes of aging.
- Peptides increase the synthesis of the dermal matrix molecules that are essential to preserving the skin’s youth. These increases are substantial:
- Up to 287% for Glycosaminoglycans
- 117% for Collagen I
- 327% for Collagen IV
- Amino acids help retain moisture in the skin and enhance the circulatory process.